In 2014 I rode one day of RAGBRAI. When I say one day, I mean the shortest, flattest, easiest day in RAGBRAI history, so I now believe that my one day in 2014 doesn't really count. It was RAGBRAI magic. You can read about it here: http://halftherice. blogspot.com/2015/02/64-guest- blog-hump-day-part-2- outskirts.html
As all the other well-seasoned Beavers were falling asleep in preparation for the big first day, I was tossing and turning and freaking out a little bit about what I consider to be my first real day of RAGBRAI. Day 1, Sioux City to Storm Lake was a big day; 76.5 Miles and 3,941 feet of climb. I am not joking, almost 4,000 feet of climb! In one day! In Iowa!
![]() |
| Due to her nickname she is contractually obligated to wear those braids. |
After a night of tossing and turning, not sleeping at all, and listening to what I now believe to be The Dale drunkenly stumble through the kitchen to fill his glass with ice and keep partying, we all woke up, dressed quietly, and began to assemble outside to prepare for this ride.
I bellied up to the front lawn with as much enthusiasm as I could muster up, got my VIRGIN status tattooed on the back of my legs with permanent marker, and then we hit the road.
We rode maybe 5 miles, maybe 10, before we came to our first stop - at a bar of course. This bar... they tried to make breakfast pizza but no one told them that you shouldn't put pizza sauce on breakfast pizza, so it was actually really gross. I thought I had to be a team player, so I ordered a beer here, only to realize that most of the beavers did not want to drink beer at this bar at sometime before 6:00am. This was the first of many beers that I would start and not finish on ragbrai - it's true - I'm a disappointment to my team.
I don't really remember all of the stops on Day 1, but what I do remember is learning a very important lesson: On RAGBRAI, I have to eat at every stop. When I say eat, I mean pulled pork sandwiches, cheese curds, pizza, anything and everything to keep me going through the rest of the day. This important lesson will haunt me for the rest of my RAGBRAI days.
![]() |
| You look tasty...when hanger strikes, no one is safe... |


What, unfinished beers?! Party Ninja says always finish whatever ragby madness you start, especially if it was a bad idea in the first place.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, you did not attend this year, so no one taught me that lesson.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, you did not attend this year, so no one taught me that lesson.
ReplyDelete