I am pretty sure most teams and riders do this the night before the big ride, but Team Beaver adds some special flourishes to our ragby preparations.
Of course, everyone is concerned that their bikes are in ship-shape. Beavers are the same. Chains are lubed, tires are aired, and the bikes are stored with the utmost care for security.
![]() |
| Beaver bike storage. |
![]() |
| Selfie Stick Installation with Grandpa 5.0 |
![]() |
| The revolution will be documented, and then squirreled away for no one to see, ever. |
Physically, too, everyone wants to make sure they are feeling their best before the ride. Of course that means getting hydrated.
![]() |
| More cheers! |
![]() |
| Bendy as a pole cat, that one! |
![]() |
| French braids. Keep it tight! |
![]() |
| All part of the uniform! |
While I was making my preparations, I had an intriguing and it turns out foreshadowing conversation. Sophomore year beavers have a tendency towards confidence. After a successful first year of ragby, second year riders will often feel like they know everything their is to know about bikes, bike riding, ragby, etc. There is some over confidence there, that I find, the sophomore year beats out of you.
I was puttering around with the Mad One during the preparations when The Dale walked over to me. I don't exactly know how the conversation started, but he says to me, "You know, Norman, ragbrai is not the time to get in shape or lose weight."
I assume this was in reference to my clear and obvious out-of-shapedness. I'd spend the summer cheating on cycling with sailing and Goldie's pool. Turns out, the same weather that is good for bike riding is good for sunbathing.
I sort of nodded in agreement, but I had experienced a ragby-related shape up a time or two, so I knew it would be painful, but I'd survive.
Then he looked my tires, and to add bossiness to insult, he said, "you need new tires, too."
Again, I sort of nodded. If I'd learned anything from the Mayor's casual approach to bike maintenance, I knew that I'd probably be fine for the week. It's not like I'd been riding my bike all summer...
The Dale's comments stung, because they were both correct and because he's my parent. I knew I was completely out of shape and looking at a slow and sucktastic ragby. I also know I needed new tires. I also knew that I had been riding my bike and ragby a lot longer than my totally Freded-Out stepdad.
The Dale wandered off, leaving me to finish my preparations, muttering to myself in annoyance. "We'll see!"







No comments:
Post a Comment