Hey-o Beavers -- it is Steven again. I need to do a bit of disclaiming about some proclamations that I made on the night before RAGBRAI. In fact, there **may** be an underlying theme to all of RAGBRAI this year: my proclamations. Some may call them tantrums...or drunken hissy fits...or bossy statements. I choose "proclamations." And this is Normie's blog -- so, obviously, I can call it whatever I want. Like a Boss.
Aaaaanyway, as we were hanging out in the living room at our amazing homestay, we chit chatted about our plans for the week. We were mentoring LindaLindaListen by showing her the actual Linda, Linda, Listen! video, reading excerpts from the Rider's Guide, and talking about the way we roll.
I decided to float an idea to Tad and Normie (maybe others were there?). I flirted with this idea during the recap last year when I guest blogged from my phone to keep the streak going. I never actually followed up with an explanation, though.
Here is what it boils down to -- I thought we drank too much on the road in 2014. We were constantly racing the clock...my muscles were constantly warming up and cooling way down...and it felt like we never truly got to relax an enjoy in any town because we were spending too much time in every town. I floated this idea to Normie and Tad.
Tad looked at me skeptically, but was sort of intrigued. Dramatic re-enactment.
I continued to explain that last year was his first year and he didn't know any better. I went on to further substantiate my claim by pointing out that we had never drank beer in every town before last year. Still skepticism.
I then dropped the bomb -- we should ride to get some miles in and only start drinking after we reached the halfway point. It was as if I had ripped Tad's heart out and Normie just shook her head in disbelief. There weren't totally on board, but I could tell that some of my reasoning resonated a teeny tiny bit with them. I remember thinking, "that's okay, tomorrow I will reiterate my thinking and convince everybody that we can get some miles in, drink, and really get to relax in the last few towns."
Little did I know what was in store for me the next day...
No comments:
Post a Comment