Steven and the Mayor came to town last weekend, and a good time was had by all. On Saturday, they tricked me into driving through a blizzard to go to an ISU Basketball game. Yes, I had to drive.
When they teased me about how crazy it was that I would a) drive, b) got a basketball game and c) go to an ISU basketball game, I reminded them that most of the ideas that they have for "fun" seem like bad ideas. But, I will admit, turn out pretty well.
So I drove to Pleasant Hill to pick them up Saturday am, we drove through the driving snow to Ames, where we had some beers and scored a ride with Bob and Tom to the game. We just left my car in "campus town." We watched the game, then hiked back through the snow to the bar/car. I got a ticket, but I didn't have to pay for my beers or snacks, thanks to the Mayor.
Then, I drove them to the south side of Des Moines. They have a very busy schedule, what with all the progeny to show off and tacos to eat while they are here.
Today, Steven joined me for the 90-minute spin class (way more fun than a 90-minute conversation). Thankfully, I didn't have to pick her ass up in Pleasant Hill and drive her to Waukee because that would have taken about a year. She met me there, and after a long, drawn out, and seemingly pointless interaction wit the lady at the desk, we got her in to the class.
![]() |
| Waiting for "Mary" the newest employee to find her log in and password... |
A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I was glad she would be joining me because she could join in the totally irrational hatred I have for this chick that comes to the class (in all fairness, hated-chick told me about the class).
![]() |
| Duck faces. |
Steven is good at supporting me, even when I need support in totally irrational hatred.
![]() |
| Girl to hate! |
Also, when I mentioned said spin class, a few weeks ago, Steven texted back, "I am planning on the spin class on Sunday. I think Frontier can fly me home in a body bag after the class skills me."
I should have know sandbaggery was afoot.
The teacher announced that it would be a hard class, and she sort of apologized because there were a lot of "new faces." And, reminded everyone that they could take it easy and do what was right for them and their workout. Steven did not take this to heart.
She went balls-to-the-wall the whole workout. Ah.maze-ing. She also became the "class clown" with lots of good jokes and encouraging shouts of glee. Not very much hilarious-complaining, though. We did both agree that the class really needed some "mayoring it up."
I think bearing and feeding children is actually some sort of super-conditioning exercise.
The class was pretty hard. A long warm up with hills, then a series of six different kind of hills, including one hill that was "like you are riding up a dirt road, then you get to a steep edge and you don't want to fall off the cliff, so you have to 'overload.'"
We did a lot with our watts.
On Saturday, while we sobered up at the basketball game, Steven and I invented the concept of the "imaginary" Coors Light and the "imaginary shots of Templeton" to replace the ones we might otherwise be drinking. Between hills 3 and 4 was shared an imaginary Coors, and then later an imaginary shot of whiskey. Imaginary drinking is surprisingly effective and with far fewer calories.
Meh, then it was over. Thank beaver.
After class, we wiped off our bikes, and I "accidentally" handed my nemesis my sweaty dirty towel to clean her bike off with, even though I saw she had a clean one in hand. "Oh, here you need this towel." Zing!
Then, Steven had to coordinate some more baby-feeding.
We made tentative plans to hang out in the afternoon, but you know parents...so busy with their "children."
![]() |
| "Okay, don't worry, Maybe, I generated 400-calories worth of milk while riding my bike." |
It was really fun to have someone to laugh with during the class. That is the magic of the Old Sandbaggers. They have painful ideas, but they make the suffering so much fun, it turns out to be awesome in the end.




Side Note: I wrote this blog before I got to hang out with Steven and the Mayor for a long, fun time Sunday evening! Thanks for the hang out time.
ReplyDelete