Only 60 days until the most magical week of the year!
For the past two years, Steven over at SeeTeacherRun and I have competed in several challenges to get us ready for RAGBRAI.
We did the RAGBRAI Royalty Challenge, which I lost.
We did the Super Friends Challenge, which was plagued with complicated points.
Both challenges had the benefit of getting us moving, but neither challenge really survived to completion. At one point, last summer, Steven and I were on the phone, bemoaning the complicated blog challenge we had gotten ourselves into, when an epiphany hit: we should just have an awesomeness challenge.
No point structure. No rules. No excuses. Just do something awesome every day. Blog about it. Assign awesomeness points.
What is awesomeness you ask? Awesomeness is anything that is above and beyond the normal. It is activities, or work outs, or cup cakes avoided. It is taking care of business, and it is not f*cking around, except when you are f*cking around, and you really f*ck around. Awesomeness is anything that gets Steven and I to our preferred state of being, which is awesome.
Here's my first awesome-update.
Yesterday, I was walking through a neighborhood with Steven after lunch when all of a sudden I realized, I wasn't in pain. Hips? No pain. Knees? No pain. Lower back? No pain. I felt like a million bucks. The reason? Recovery.
I used my recent trip to Colorado to impose some serious recovery time in the hopes of healing my busted knee. My get up/get down function is not at top speed.
And, it worked! I hate taking recovery, so this was a big deal for me. I am always terrified it will set me back or I will lose my mojo. All I did was Friday, walked the dog and walked to work. Saturday, nada. Sunday, hiked to the top of the "wall" (more on this soon). Monday, nothing until practice tonight.
Awesomeness points for recovery: 127.
Then, today, at the chiropractor, I was like "hey, this knee is bugging me."
Dr. Meylor, who is a delight, if you need some magic done, call him, replied, "yes, your knee is out of alignment, I can see it from the way your foot hangs." Then, he did a spell. Then, it felt better. Whoo-hoo!
Seeking medical attention: 18.5 awesomeness points.
Now, we are going to take that knee to Velo Rosa practice and see how all this recovery and medical attention holds up. More awesomeness points to follow.
For the past two years, Steven over at SeeTeacherRun and I have competed in several challenges to get us ready for RAGBRAI.
We did the RAGBRAI Royalty Challenge, which I lost.
We did the Super Friends Challenge, which was plagued with complicated points.
Both challenges had the benefit of getting us moving, but neither challenge really survived to completion. At one point, last summer, Steven and I were on the phone, bemoaning the complicated blog challenge we had gotten ourselves into, when an epiphany hit: we should just have an awesomeness challenge.
No point structure. No rules. No excuses. Just do something awesome every day. Blog about it. Assign awesomeness points.
What is awesomeness you ask? Awesomeness is anything that is above and beyond the normal. It is activities, or work outs, or cup cakes avoided. It is taking care of business, and it is not f*cking around, except when you are f*cking around, and you really f*ck around. Awesomeness is anything that gets Steven and I to our preferred state of being, which is awesome.
Here's my first awesome-update.
Yesterday, I was walking through a neighborhood with Steven after lunch when all of a sudden I realized, I wasn't in pain. Hips? No pain. Knees? No pain. Lower back? No pain. I felt like a million bucks. The reason? Recovery.
I used my recent trip to Colorado to impose some serious recovery time in the hopes of healing my busted knee. My get up/get down function is not at top speed.
And, it worked! I hate taking recovery, so this was a big deal for me. I am always terrified it will set me back or I will lose my mojo. All I did was Friday, walked the dog and walked to work. Saturday, nada. Sunday, hiked to the top of the "wall" (more on this soon). Monday, nothing until practice tonight.
Awesomeness points for recovery: 127.
Then, today, at the chiropractor, I was like "hey, this knee is bugging me."
Dr. Meylor, who is a delight, if you need some magic done, call him, replied, "yes, your knee is out of alignment, I can see it from the way your foot hangs." Then, he did a spell. Then, it felt better. Whoo-hoo!
| It's hard to take a flattering knee/bike short self-portrait. |
Seeking medical attention: 18.5 awesomeness points.
Now, we are going to take that knee to Velo Rosa practice and see how all this recovery and medical attention holds up. More awesomeness points to follow.
No comments:
Post a Comment