So, as of this moment, I am in the lead for the SBVSBC, but alas, it is a false victory. The points lie, because I have not been subtracting my 10 points per cocktail, per my new "rules." And, there have been cocktails. Nor, has Steven or Super Saver or Wump updated their points for the end of June. Nor, have I been that awesome. Nor, am I embarking on my reward-journey to Boulder, and even if I were, I probably would be a hurting unit, because, like I said, I have not been awesome.
I called Panda a week ago to break the news about the cancellation (or possible postponement) of the 4th of July Boulder 100 Bikes and Beers Brewery Adventure for Freedom (4oJB100BBBAF). As we discussed the massive breakdown of the SBVSBC, I think she put it best when she said, "we are awesome for two weeks. We should just make our challenges two weeks long."
True that.
Our other alternative is going to be a simple "Awesomeness Challenge." Every day we will attempt to do something, anything, that we deem awesome and then calculate our awesomeness points. Bike ride to the bar = 4 billion awesomeness points; teach Small One to stand on legs = 100k awesomeness points. Clean bathroom = 105 awesomeness points. And, the goal will be to get to 100 Billion Awesomeness points. Sounds fun, huh?
Our silly little challenges are all about high expectations for awesomeness. I think each of us secretly believes that we are going to super-rock the challenge, and we try. And, when you think about it, we are pretty awesome. Maybe we are not as awesome as we had thought we might be, but compared to our baseline of awesomeness, we are more awesome than before. And trying is awesome too.
It's July now. And, I don't think I am the only one that goes into the summer with high expectations for productivity, for fitness, for fun, for a sun tan, nor do I think that I am the only one who is slightly disappointed with the results so far. I love to make the joke, but it's kind of true, that the secret to happiness is low expectations.
So rather than be bummed about losing the SBVSBC, like I lost the RAGBRAI Royalty Challenge last year, (am I really 0-2?), I am going to try to remember how awesome I was during those first two weeks, and bring some of that unadulterated awesome to the rest of my summer.
I am also going to just try to have fun. I am going to try to do the things that make me happy, and not worry so much if I am doing enough. Being productive makes me happy. Riding my bike makes me happy. Visiting my friends makes me happy. Beer and barbeques make me happy. If I can get all that stuff accomplished, awesome. If I can get some of it accomplished, awesome. If I just have a fun and restful summer, totally awesome.
This is marvelous news, Lauren! I am reveling in your general awesomeness and long to bask in it. You are indeed awesome.
ReplyDeleteI like the idea of an "awesomeness challenge". Would updating your blog so faraway friends can bask in your virtual presence count for awesomeness points?
ReplyDeleteThere are no places to comment on Holiday's June-a-thon Blog. 34 Miles! Holy Cow!
ReplyDelete