In my old life, if I stayed up or out too late, I would simply send my fitness buddy a text letting her know that I wouldn't be going to the gym in the morning. Not anymore. Now, I've got the triple threat of motivation:
1. I made a commitment to Lexi to be more consistent with our workouts. Not going one day, then sloughing off the next.
2. I've got to text Trainer Gwyn with my workouts.
3. I've got to beat Steven in the RAGBRAI Royalty Challenge (RRC). The mockery and gloating and possible crown wearing for the entire week of RAGBRAI will just be too much to bear.
This morning was a challenge though. I stayed out too late with Ranger Dave. He's only in town once a year, and so his Des Moinesiac friends celebrate with a week long "Dave-Up" that involves bike rides, dart playing, and German food.
As I was brushing my teeth, I considered sending the bailout text. But then I thought about what that would do to my schedule. There wouldn't be time for a workout during the day, and if I want to win the RRC I've got to workout five days a week. I skipped Sunday, so a Thursday skip would be cutting it close.
So, groggily, I got up this morning, tied on my running shoes, and went to the YMCA. Showing up half the battle, right?

Just kidding. I did put in a workout this morning. It wasn't my best workout, but I made it happen. I was so proud of myself.
I made it through the day without being too sleepy or cranky or stupid. What's the lesson? Sleep is important, for sure. Most Americans don't get enough, and that leads to obesity and heart disease and stress etc. But, cutting it short one or two nights a week won't kill me: in fact, it makes me stronger.
R.R.C. Log
Monday: 45 minutes on the elliptical, 10 minutes core training
Tuesday: 30 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes lower body weight training
-Bike Ride: Clive to Redfield, 45 miles, 3 hours, 10 minutes
Wednesday: 60 minutes on the elliptical, 30 minutes upper body weight training
Thursday: 45 minutes on the elliptical trainer, 15 minutes lower body weight training
Friday: 45 minutes on the elliptical trainer, 30 minutes upper body weight lifting
Part of what gives me strength when I am working out is my super tight pants. There is something magical about tight pants, and I am not the only one who thinks so. Don't miss this video. It's a pretty accurate summary of my daily adventures at the gym.
Steven might have Jillian and her love of calculus to power her through her workouts. I've got Leslie.
Point Total: I am going to give myself 7 for our first week. Weigh in on my calculations in the comments, yo.
No comments:
Post a Comment